Social responsibility is who we are.
GuideOne Insurance was founded upon two key philosophies: a commitment to social responsibility and a dedication to serving customers who strengthen the community. During the mid-1940s, our founder, William N. Plymat, set out to create an auto insurance company that would insure non-drinkers at lower rates. He believed non-drinking drivers deserved a discount for keeping roads safe and losses down. On April 1, 1947, William’s Preferred Risk Mutual Insurance Company – which would later become GuideOne Insurance – was licensed to operate in Iowa.
A History of Firsts
- We’ve steadily grown since William’s original innovation and have continued to be a pioneer in the industry with a history of firsts:
- GuideOne introduced America’s first multi-peril package policy for churches in 1962.
- In the mid-1970s, GuideOne expanded its coverage to the colleges and seminaries of its church customers.
- In 1980, GuideOne donated seed money to help Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) expand nationally.
- In the early 1980s, GuideOne began insuring senior living communities.
- In 1994, GuideOne formed a construction company (now known as GC3) to focus on the repair and reconstruction after a claim.
- In the mid-1990s, the GuideOne Insurance name was officially adopted to create a unified, identifiable product and a strong national brand.
- In the mid-2000s, GuideOne introduced safechurch.com. SafeChurch® is the most comprehensive risk management website for GuideOne church customers.
Today, we proudly insure more than 50,000 community organizations across the country.